Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Pond House pleases on every level

After a week of food faster than a Georgia running back, it was time to slow down for some grub that was really off the beaten path. So, I ventured out Spring Creek Road to the Pond House restaurant. I've lived in Bainbridge all my life, and sorry to say, I'd never eaten at the Pond House before. I figured it was about time to give it a shot. Although, it was a little farther drive than most places in town, it was definitely worth the drive.

Upon our arrival a little after 6:00 that evening, there was already a wait for a table. The Pond House opens at 6:00, so obviously somebody knew it was going to be crowded and got there early. But, there were so many tables it wasn't long before one became available - in the room where a children's birthday party was being held. Not being too keen on dozens of children screaming, we asked to be moved to the main room. We were graciously accomodated to a freshly cleaned table adjacent to the ever-inviting fireplace.

The menu selection isn't that great, but the quantities of food you get for your price is excellent. I had the fried oysters and catfish fillets combo with cheese grits and a salad. The salad was overflowing from the bowl when it arrived as an appetizer and it wasn't long after when our entrees arrived. Even with a packed house, the food was quick. The oysters and catfish were both stacked high and our server brought out a tray of cocktail and tartar sauce to go with it. They were both cooked just right and I could tell that it hadn't sat under a heat lamp for any length of time.

I also sampled a bit of the grilled pork chop which was the best tasting pork chop I'd ever put in my mouth. Even a half-order comes with a full, thick pork chop which is grilled to perfection with a bit of sweetness in every bite. I was sad that I hadn't ordered the pork chop after my sample, but I know what I'll be having next time.

Our servers were all well-mannered and well-dressed and kept our drinks filled with smiles on their faces. Even after we asked to be moved to another room, not one server even batted an eye as our request was granted. I was very satisfied with my visit and hope to return soon. Only this time I'll make sure to get their early, and most likely be dining on those delicious pork chops.



View Larger Map

No comments: